Monday, December 19, 2011

Is It Wrong To Eat a Dog?

A few days ago, I was in the middle of the discussion about the disgusting food in the world and was on the spot light for being Korean who eats a dog. I actually got this question many times before if we really eat a dog, and the answer is yes. For those who get upset with the answer, here is what I think about eating a dog. Before I state and justify my opinion, I would like to clear this first. Even though I am from one of those countries where people eat dogs, I have never eaten dog meat before and don’t even want to try either. Personally, I used to pet dogs and love them. Nevertheless, I still believe that people have their own viewpoints and right to eat a dog if they want to.
I understand the complaints about the methods of slaughter that are cruel. Beating, strangling, and boiling are not needed, but I admit that it is happening in some places. However, it is the same as other animals, such as chickens and pigs. There are many issues how some farms abuse their animals in America as well. Abusing animals is definitely wrong and need to be stopped, but it shouldn’t be a reason to criticize for eating a dog.   
Main reason why those people disagree with eating a dog is that they consider a dog as their friend and a part of family. But not all countries consider a dog as a companion. For some people, a bird, mice, or even other animals and pets are their companions. I believe that it is depending on their culture. A long time ago, our ancestors were starving because of many wars and there were no food. For them, a dog meat was food that kept them alive. Having a dog as a pet happened in recent years, which means dogs weren’t meant to be friends but food for them.
            Also, the kind of dog that they eat is the one raised as food dogs. Dog eaters don’t eat a little puppy, but eat dogs, called “junk dogs” or “Yellow dogs”. The spices for dog meat are from special branch, big and yellow, and those breeds are different from those breeds raised at home.
            In the past, one of very famous people from France publicly criticized our culture about eating a dog on their newspaper. And French are known to eat horses and snails. Even though it doesn’t sounds right in our culture, we don’t blame or judge them. I was always taught to treat people the way I want to be treated. In other words, I believe that only when I respect others, can I also be respected. I remember somebody saying that food is not rational but culture, habit, craving and identity. So please respect their culture and let them eat a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment