Monday, December 19, 2011

Must Visit: Jeju Island


One of the prejudices about Korea is that a lot of people think Seoul is all about Korea. In case you don’t know what Seoul is, it is the capital of Korea, not another name of Korea. It is true that most of political and economical organizations are located in Seoul, and so many people are packed living in a small space, Seoul. Yet there’s so much more to see and explore in other cities as well. Though I am from the second biggest city, Busan, which is known as a port city with amazing beaches surrounded by many mountains, today I am going to introduce you a small Island in terms of the space but incredibly gorgeous, Jeju Island.
On November 12, 2011, the New 7Wonders, which is known for New 7Wonders of the World, has announced a new list of New 7Wonders of Nature. Along with other places, such as Amazon, Halong bay, Iguazu falls, Komodo, Puerto Princesa Underground River, and Table Mountain, Jeju Island is chosen as one of the most beautiful nature. Jeju is located 130 km apart from the Southern coast of Korea. It is the largest Island but the smallest province that has the tallest mountain, called Hallasan. Hallasan is a dormant volcano and is selected biosphere reserved by UNESCO.
I have been to Jeju Island once and remember that it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to, so I would like to guide all of you to Jeju island in my blog today. First of all, above picture is Hallasan, which risen 1,950 m in the middle of the island, formed by numerous volcanic eruptions. At the summit of the mountain, called Baekrokdam, constitute many spectacular cliffs, unique and diverse landscape of volcanic reveals. In addition, among more than 4,000 species of plants that grow in our country, more than 2,000 species live in the mountain. It was during the spring when I went to Jeju, and one of my favorite place during the trip was Hallasan. The sight of rape flowers in full bloom around the mountain and the snow on the top of the mountain was so pretty that I can’t describe it in any words.
One of other places I went was sunrise peak, which is called Sungsan Illchulbong in Korean. It is formed by volcanic activity, heights of 180m. A long time ago, when hot magma came out from the bottom of the sea and reacted violently with the water, it erupted ashes and was solidified as a peak. Thus, when I went to the sunrise peak, I was able to see the layor of sedimentary structure. Also, I saw many female divers in the sea from the viewpoint, picking abalones.  

There are so many other places to go in Jeju, but there is one thing that you cannot skip is the food. Jeju is known for fresh seafood, as I mentioned earlier that a lot of residents of Jeju are divers. However, my favorite was black pork meat and tangerine. In Korea, we eat a lot of pork belly barbeque, but especially Jeju has a special kind of pigs and the meat from this black pig is very tasty. Also, because of the warm climate in Jeju, they grow tangerines, and their tangerines are juicy and sweet.
If you go to Korea, I highly recommend visiting Jeju, especially those two places, Hallasan and Sunsan Ilchulbong. And also don’t forget to try black port mean and tangerine! I guarantee that the small island Jeju will make your trip the most memorable and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment